The History of the Bank of Gassaway
The Bank of Gassaway opened for business in September, 1905. The
bank was located on the corner of Elk Street and Sixth Street. It
remained at that location until 1997, when a new facility was
constructed at 700 Elk Street.
The bank has remained a stable and strong part
of the local business community. An eagle, a symbol of strength,
was presented to the bank in 1907 by Mrs. Charles W. Hendley, the
daughter-in-law of the bank president, C. N. Hendley. The eagle was
placed on a parapet over the main entrance where it remained until
1963 when it was moved to a pedestal beside the newly renovated
bank building. A new facility was constructed in 1997 and after
being renovated by local sculptor Bill Hopen and his son Gabe, the
eagle was placed in the lobby of the new building, where it still
represents the strength of the bank.
Gassaway Bancshares purchased the bank in 1986 and the bank soon
opened branches in Sutton, Burnsville, and Clay. The bank is still
locally owned and operated. The mission of the Bank of Gassaway is
to serve central West Virginia and provide good solid financial
products and services to our customers.